Greenville Marine and Sports Center in Greenville, NC believes in stressing safety to our guns and ammo customers. Shooting guns regularly can severely impact your hearing. We want our guns and ammo customers to know all the different aspects of gun safety. Here are ways to protect your hearing!
1. Know How to Recognize the Signs of Hearing Loss
Hearing loss can be an effect of old age, but it can also be caused by abusing them. The general signs of hearing loss caused by guns and ammo use are:
- Sounds are beginning to be muffled.
- You’re having a hard time making out specific words when people are talking to you.
- You are no longer able to figure out the direction in which a sound is coming from.
- You are experiencing a ringing or buzzing noise after being exposed to any sound.
Knowing the signs of hearing loss caused by guns and ammo is the biggest step so that you can take action immediately. Of course, the best way to prevent hearing loss is to implement safety practices before it even begins, but better late than never.
2. Learn About Your Options
There is a variety of hearing protection products that you can invest in for when you use guns and ammo. Here are some options that you can try to protect your ears from the harsh noise that comes from gun use.
- Ear Plugs: These are preferred among many because they go directly into the ear. They have the exact same feeling as headphone buds. They are small, unobtrusive, and are generally very cheap. They can provide mild protection from the sound of gunfire.
- Passive Earmuffs: These essentially look like headphones. They may be bulky, but they do provide a decent amount of protection from the noise that comes from guns and ammo. These can also be fairly cost efficient to pricey. It all depends on the quality and amount you’re willing to spend.
- Electronic Earmuffs: Electronic earmuffs look like headphone the most. They provide great guns and ammo noise protection and offer a wide variety of settings. The noise management that they provide is the best gun and ammo protection that you’re probably going to get. They can be pricey but are well worth the investment to promote your hearing health.
You can also amp up your hearing protection from the noise that comes from guns and ammo by doubling up your earplugs with your passive ear muffs. This can double the NRR (Noise Reduction Rating), but if you feel that it’s bulky, then you might as well invest in the electronic earmuffs. Some protection from the noise caused by guns and ammo, however, is better than none. If you are feeling overwhelmed, then reach out to somebody in the store who can help you decide which ear protection is best for you.
Need More Help?
We hope that this guide hearing protection while using Guns and Ammo will help you make your decision when visiting Greenville Marine and Sports Center in Greenville, NC. If you think that you need more help, then please don’t hesitate to drop on by our location in Greenville, NC! Our experienced experts would love to help you on all your questions on guns and ammo in Greenville, NC! Greenville Marine & Sports Center has the best selection of guns and ammo and other hunting supplies in Greenville, NC for decades. We have been serving Pitt and Beaufort counties and Eastern North Carolina for 44 years. We have an experienced sales and service staff who would love to help you with a gun and ammo purchase right here in Greenville, NC. Contact us today!